Wednesday, October 5, 2005

CHOICES

Today, I went out with my friends to gateway mall.. to unwind and to help keep my mind off sad events. It was past noon and we were quite hungry so we decided to go to the food express and eat lunch there. hmm. So many stalls to choose from.. so much food! Just picking out a counter to order from was quite a challenge..

Sometimes I wish the choices I have to make in life were as simple as choosing what food to eat or where to order from. Most of the time, of course, things are not that simple. There are so many things to consider: Is it right or wrong? Is it easy or difficult to do? Will other people be affected? Is it God's will or not?

Choosing between right and wrong. obviously, one should always do what is right. But it does not always happen. In Rom7:18-19, Paul says "I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do-this I keep on doing." Why is it oftentimes more difficult.. more trying to do what is right? Because choosing to do what is right means battling our human nature. We are wired for self preservation - to avoid pain and suffering. We do not want to be inconvenienced; so we hesitate to do what is right. It is not a simple matter of following our brain.. it is, instead, "rewiring" or renewing our mind to be more like Christ's.

Then there's the matter of choosing among many good things. Bro Bo Sanchez always used to say this: "The enemy of the best is not the bad.. but the good." But how would one know which is the best? Like the various food choices at gateway.. how should I know which of those will satisfy me most.. or which is the most nutritious?

Knowing God's will. I admit it's something I'm struggling to learn right now. There are so many things happening in my life that I do not understand. Like heartache. Like grief. And sorrow. But there are also so many opportunities for growth.. so many lessons to learn. And I don't know which of these He wants me to pay the most attention to.

So many choices. I guess while there is life, there will always be choices to make. I'm just glad that in all my decision-making, I am not alone. He will always be there to guide.. and to catch me when I fall.

No comments: