Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I, TOO, LEARN

While looking for stuff to include in this Newsletter’s Valentine issue, I came upon this poem in my organizer. I’ve had it for years; but now I read it with new eyes.. and with fresh understanding:

After a While

(Veronica Shoffstall)

After a while you learn the subtle difference between

Holding a hand and chaining a soul

And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning

And company doesn’t always mean security

And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts

And presents aren’t promises

And you begin to accept your defeats

With your head up and your eyes ahead

With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child

And you learn to build all your roads on today

Because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans

And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight

After a while you learn

That even sunshine burns if you get too much

So you plant your own garden

And decorate your own soul

Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers

And you learn that you really can endure

That you really are strong

And you really do have worth

And you learn

And you learn

With every goodbye you learn

It is the season of hearts once more. For “newly-singled” people like me, this occasion can be pretty hard to endure. Everywhere I turn, I see couples all mushy and sweet.. and mall decorations are filled with hearts of all colors. More than once, I thought of going into hibernation until Valentine’s Day is over. Thankfully, though, I didn’t.

Because Valentine’s Day isn’t simply a day for passion and romance. It isn’t just about flowers and chocolates and cheesy greeting cards. February 14, like the rest of the 364 (or 365) days, is a God-given opportunity to learn. About the meaning of true love. About the value of letting go. About acceptance. About the wisdom of moving on.

These past days, I learned that “newly-singled” doesn’t have to mean “lonely.” Not having a “significant other” is not the same as not having a “special someone.” Because no matter how many heartbreaks I go through, and no matter how many times I may have been forced to say (or hear) goodbye.. I know I will always have a Special Someone patiently waiting for me :-)

And He does give me strength. And He does see my worth. And He teaches me to love myself, the way He loves me. And most importantly, He makes me feel His ever-present love.. through His Word, and through loved ones :-)

Thank You Lord, for making everyday Valentine’s Day.. :-)

No comments: