Saturday, October 6, 2007

why “father” is a four-letter word

wait. before anybody reacts to my title.. i just want to make it clear that not all four-letter words are bad :p after all, L-O-V-E is a four-letter word. and if you ask me, father = love ü

how does my father love me? hmm. let me count the ways.. ü

1. he is *always* there for me to talk to. no matter how late (or early) the hour, my dad makes sure to lend a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on.

2. he’s ever-reliable. i know that whenever he makes a promise, my dad would *always* deliver. he does not renege on his word. if he tells me he will pick me up from school at 3pm, i am sure he will be there at that time - even earlier.

3. he tells me the truth. my dad has always been my greatest source of encouragement. he’s generous with his praises and often tells me how proud he is of me. but my dad also lets me know whenever i disappoint him. when i do something wrong, he reprimands me. but he always does it with love.. and i never really feel offended when he tells me off, because i know he always has my best interests in mind.
4. he is open. even when i was a lot younger, dad would talk to me about adult concerns like work, finances and even asked for my opinion on family matterse. he showed me that he trusted my judgment; and i never felt like i was “only a kid” around him. i may have been a kid then.. but i always knew that in my dad’s eyes, i was already “somebody” ü

5. he is strong. dad not only does a lot of stuff around the house; he’s also our source of strength when it comes to resolving “issues” in the extended family. he never passes judgment on anybody.. and he aslways acts as “peacemaker” during times of conflict. we all appreciate his wisdom, but more than that, we recognize the strength of his character. he’s been through *a lot* of tough times.. and my dad has always used his experiences to glorify the Lord even as he gives advice.

i’ve said this so many times before.. but i’ll say it again. my dad is one of the greatest blessings the Lord has given to me ü because he mirrors my Father in Heaven so well. through my dad, i get to know Him a bit more each day. i learn how my Father shows His love for me in the way my dad shows his ü

happy birthday, dad. i love you ü

No comments: