Tuesday, September 27, 2005

DELTA X

Dx (read : "delta x") defined in mathematics as the incremental change in the value of x

when i was studying introductory calculus in my college days, i couldn't help but be fascinated by the concept of "rates of change." it was interesting for me to graph all sorts of curves.. to observe how the small changes in x values result in corresponding changes in the y values.. uhm, ok, enough math talk for now Ü

but come to think of it, i'm not alone in my fascination. of course, not everyone would make the mathematical connection.. but a lot of people do know the importance and significance of change. careers have been built up and destroyed.. lives have been converted.. wars have been fought.. all because of this thing we call change.

what's all the fuss about change, anyway? after all, we know it happens to everyone. nothing in this world ever stays the same. businesses flourish then go bankrupt. friends come and go. people live their lives on earth then move on to the next life. change is the one of those things that is bound to happen to all of us. so why is it so difficult to accept at times?

a lot of changes are happening in my life right now. some of them are minor.. some are major. some are welcome.. some are not. and then there are those that behave like my mathematical ?x: incremental changes that creep up slowly, unnoticed. one minute, i'm happy and full of peace.. and then next, BOOM! i get caught unprepared. the realization is so sudden it takes me completely by surprise.. and i get totally disoriented. i mean, sure.. my surroundings look the same.. but they don't feel the same to me anymore. i find myself in a state.. in a situation i never wanted to be in. i am out of my comfort zone.

yet it is during such times that the Lord makes me feel His grace and presence all the more. in the midst of uncertainty, fear and doubt, He gives comfort and assurance. in times of unbearable sorrow, He makes His love known through friends, loved ones and His Word. and in the dark night of the soul.. where no one else sees.. the Lord speaks. and when He speaks, He effects change. not a sudden, abrupt or magnificent change. but a Dx kind of change: incremental.. slow but steady.. unnoticed at the micro-level, but clearly seen when you look at the big picture. indeed, bit by bit, He is changing me.

change. a small word with life-changing consequences. one of the most difficult things to deal with. but now i know that with God, i don't have to be afraid of change. i don't have to struggle so much to find my way through unfamiliar territory. because though everything around me may change, one thing never will: His love for me.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9

No comments: