Wednesday, September 14, 2005

TREASURES

"..you are more precious than silver.. you are more costly than gold.. you are more beautiful than diamonds.. and nothing i desire compares with you.." these are words from one of my favorite worship songs. it speaks about God's worthiness.. His incomparable value.. our one true Treasure. it's a wonderful love song to sing to God.. but it is even more wonderful to hear it sung back to me by the Lord..

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

my treasure box is small - just about the size of a regular shoe box. it isn't glitzy, it isn't heavy. it isn't even locked. but my treasure box is the most important item in my room. what does it contain? hmm.. a small picture frame, an old candy wrapper, 4-year old pictures, a crushed flower, a small figurine, 2 diaries, music CDs, tiny books, silver rings, parking receipts, movie tickets, cards, a 3D dinosaur puzzle, a cassette tape letter, a circuit board and letters. my treasure box holds nothing that costs much. but all its contents are priceless. i would not trade any them for a million bucks.

what makes an item valuable? i thought about this as i was looking through my treasure box. i stare at the crumpled and worn parking receipts and wonder why i am so attached to them. yet as i look at the various knickknacks in front of me, i immediately know why i've kept these odds and ends all these years: they are valuable because the person who gave them is special to me. they are my treasures because they hold a special place in my heart. the contents of my treasure box are priceless because i choose to make them so.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

i am like one of the parking receipts in my treasure box - worn, ordinary and sometimes even crumpled and dirty. i do not have millions, nor do i have any extraordinary beauty. i possess no unique skill or talent, and i am not exactly the best at anything at the moment. nevertheless, i know that i am a treasure - His treasure. i don't know what He sees in me.. and until now it is hard to comprehend His unconditional and unfailing love. but He whispers, "you are priceless because I choose to make you so. you are my treasure, you hold a special place in my heart. you have value because of Me.."

i have never thought of myself as being "more precious than silver".. but perhaps bit by bit, the Lord is teaching me, not only to make this my love song to Him, but to accept it as His love song to me.. Ü

No comments: