Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The “Best” Thing I Never Had

the other day, i was talking to my friend. she was telling me about her “dilemma.” you see, two years ago, her boyfriend broke up with her. from that time on, she felt lonely. especially when friends and relatives keep asking her that one question single girls dread to hear: “o, kelan ka ba ikakasal?”

so she desperately wished and prayed for a boyfriend (i’m not kidding.. “desperate” is the word for it). it was funny, really.. ‘coz she told me once, “grabe ma’am rox.. sobrang nakakairita na ha. bakit, may problema ba sa ‘kin?! promise, ‘yung susunod na manligaw sa ‘kin, kahit ‘di ko masyadong type, sasagutin ko, magkaboyfriend lang ako!”

she must have done some serious wishing ‘coz three months ago, she excitedly told me about “this guy.” she was lovestruck and googly-eyed. i told her i was happy for her.. though at that time, i was really wondering whether this was really love.. or simply desperation.

it was a few months after her “googly-eyed” phase that she came to me again. her dilemma? “that guy” was a “selfish, lying and arrogant jerk” and she didn’t know what the heck she saw in him in the first place. hmm. i guess it was desperation, after all.

it’s often said, “be careful what you wish for.. you just might get it.” and in my friend’s case, it certainly is true. that’s why i thank God that He does not always grant what we pray for.

i am reminded of so many things i’ve fervently wished/prayed for all these years: graduating with honors, a prestigious career, my best friend staying in the RP, a long reprieve from ministry service, a new job and even the affections of a long-time crush. well, the Lord has not granted these.. the “best things i never had.”

but i’m not bitter (not even about the “affection” part, hehehe). bro. bo sanchez said it so well: “the enemy of the best is not the worst.. but the good.” and i really believe that. for though God sometimes answers our petitions with “no” or “not yet,” in the end, He knows what’s truly best for us.

that’s why, like so many others, my favorite Bible verse is the following:

“‘for I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord. ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.’” jer 29:11

i hope my friend takes this verse to heart, as well.

No comments: