Tuesday, September 5, 2006

mirror, mirror

Several days ago, I saw this mirror mounted on a wall. It was a really huge one. Dramatic. And it really caught my attention. I suddenly remembered what those interior decorators always say - if you want to create the illusion of more space, use mirrors.. they will definitely open up the place.

A mirror doesn’t just make a room seem “roomier,” though. It is one of the simplest yet most useful inventions in existence. It is used in cosmetics, in discos, in department stores, in homes, in offices, in laboratories and hey, even in outer space!

But of course, the most important function of a mirror is to show us what we look like. Can you imagine going through an entire day without even glancing at your reflection (and thus, not knowing whether remnants of breakfast are stuck between your teeth)? I know I can’t.

Nevertheless, I’m not one who’s fond of looking at herself in the mirror. I don’t know.. I guess it’s because I get too self-conscious everytime I see my reflection. I tend to focus too much on my flaws (“Oh no.. is that a pimple?! Uh oh.. I think I see the beginning of a wrinkle here..”). Sometimes, I look at myself in the mirror and think “Oh, I’m too fat” or “I wish I had fairer skin” or “Why couldn’t I look more like Angelina Jolie?” (hahaha).

Still, even though I feel uncomfortable staring at myself in the mirror, I continue to do it. Everyday (And I suppose, so does everyone else) Why? For the simple reason that *I have to.* I need to keep looking at myself - flaws and all - so that I can get rid of whatever is unsightly.. highlight what is good.. and most importantly, *know what I look like* hehe ü

But brothers and sisters, what we see in the mirror is only a shadow of the person we really are. For while mirrors may reflect the shape of our face or the contour of our body, it cannot show us who we are inside. It cannot show us the state of our mind or spirit. It cannot depict what’s in our heart - our desires, our fears, our beliefs - everything that makes us unique.. different from everybody else.

In the bible, James writes about how silly it is for a person to look at the mirror and then forget what his face looks like (1:24). It may seem funny.. but it can happen to us if we’re not careful.

If we do not make it a habit to pause.. to pray.. and to look at our “inner mirrors,” then we will soon forget who we *really* are. We may no longer know our weaknesses and our strengths. We may no longer see our own value.. our own worth. We may no longer recognize the person whom our Lord sees.. the person He loves. And thus, we will not be able to picture the ourselves the way God wants us to be.. someone who mirrors Him.

There’s more to us than faces. The Lord loves us - wrinkles and all ü And it’s a relief to know that while He sees so much more than what the mirror shows, He also sees *beyond* our outer images. He sees Himself in us ü

I looked at my reflection in that huge mirror. And in spite of myself.. I liked what I saw ü

So next time you look in the mirror, just remember: You are loved. Immensely. Unconditionally. Perfectly. And I hope that like me, you will learn to love what you see ü

No comments: