Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Magnificently Obsessed

Just the other day, I was listening to this Christian radio station. They were discussing what makes a person truly successful. According to the teacher, there are three P’s a person needs in order to excel: Patience, Perseverance and Passion. She proceeded to say that disciplined athletes develop the first two traits. However, only a few of them truly possess the last. And it is Passion that separates the great from those who are merely good.

After listening to the short teaching, I wondered to myself, “What am I really passionate about?” I know I enjoy doing a lot of stuff; and some of these, I am quite good at. But what is that *one* thing that makes my face light up when I talk about it? What is it that I am *really* into.. that occupies my thoughts 24/7? What is that one thing I am willing to risk everything for? What is my one obsession?

Matthew 6:20 - 21 says, “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Where my treasure is, there my heart will also be. The Lord has given me a lot of gifts in the form of talents, friends and loved ones. And these are treasures, indeed. But none of these can surpass the greatness of the Giver Himself.

Sometimes I forget this simple truth. It’s so easy to be blinded by the gifts. It’s so easy to be distracted; to lose sight of my Magnificent Obsession.

I want *so much* to be the best that I can be as His child - to be as excellent.. as perfect as He wants me to be. And I know that before I can be that, I must have a burning passion for Him. So I pray this song:

This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

Yes, Lord.. be my Magnificent Obsession.

No comments: