Wednesday, January 11, 2006

On Weddings

Last week, two of our friends in the community got married. I was fortunate enough to attend their wedding, along with a few other friends. And it was one of the best weddings I’ve ever gone to..

The wedding last Friday was really special. The venue was wonderful (Fernwood Gardens certainly lives up to its name)! The St. Francis Chapel was a very intimate setting for the marriage ceremony, and Fr. Mar gave an inspired homily. And of course, the food at the reception was delicious! After dinner, we were all so stuffed, I think we gained a couple of pounds just eating the yummy dessert (loved that chocolate fountain!).

Ok, so going to the wedding was a real treat for me. But it wasn't just the venue and the food that made it so special. I guess this wedding was meaningful for me because it's the first one I've attended since *the* breakup. At first, I thought I'd feel sad or bitter.. but I'm glad I proved myself wrong about that :)

As i looked at the couple at the altar.. I honestly felt happy and hopeful for them. Happy because in this world where most people view commitment, faithfulness and love with cynicism, it's heartwarming to know that there still are those who are willing to 'take the plunge' so to speak. Hopeful because I truly wish them all the best in life :) Not just because they are friends.. but also because a lasting marriage serves as a shining example to all those who hope for the same in life.

I don't know if I will ever walk down the aisle (hehe) At this point, at least I can honestly say I'm not ready for that. [lack of a 'prince charming' isn't the only reason, hehe.. but that's another story altogether] Someday, *maybe*.. but I'm not rushing. For now, i'm just really grateful that I can be happy.. that I can celebrate with my friends. I feel privileged to share in their joys.. and to pray with them for a marriage filled with God's blessings.

Weddings and other special occasions. Hmm. They may not be mine.. but I really am glad that God sends me friends.. so that through them I may celebrate these special days.. and truly smile :)

No comments: