Wednesday, May 31, 2006

out of reach..?

for the first time in my teaching career, i taught summer classes. this year, i handled two sections - a basic math course and an algebra/trigonometry course. now, most of my students weren’t exactly what you’d call “math geniuses” or “math lovers.” in fact, around 3/4 of my students were math repeaters. some were even taking algebra for the fourth time. so you can just imagine how traumatized they were with mathematics. they hated numbers.. they hated problem solving.. and most of all, they hated exams!

so last week, as they were taking their finals in math, my students all looked like they were going to the gallows. pale, sweaty, and clearly nervous.. they all answered the exam as if their very lives were at stake.

finally, 1 1/2 hours into the finals, one of my students (the uhmm.. least “mathematically inclined” in the class) approached me to submit her test booklet. she was almost crying. and she told me “miss, sorry talaga.. i really studied for this test but i know i flunked it. i’m sure i’m going to repeat math AGAIN next sem. but anyway, it was great knowing you..” i didn’t know what to say. because honestly, i wouldn’t have been surprised if she failed the subject. but anyway, i told her, “have a little more faith.. why don’t you wait until i finish checking your paper? if you want, i’ll check it right now.” she agreed.. so i did :-)

she needed to get a raw score of 29.5 in the finals in order to pass the course. and as i was checking her paper, i found that contrary to her claim that she “wasn’t able to answer a single thing in the test,” most of her answers and solutions were correct! after tallying her scores, i told her that she got a total of 38 points in the exam - well above what she needed to pass math lab :-)

my student couldn’t believe it. SHE PASSED! after thanking me profusely, she left the room in a daze - still not quite believing her good fortune.

i was chuckling to myself.. silently laughing at my student for being so afraid of failing the course. until the Lord “nudged” me to listen to His message. and i realized that a lot of times, i am like that student of mine. during desperate moments, i pray to God to help me.. i try my best in all my endeavors.. i give my all in service.. and yet after all this, i still do not have peace of mind. i couldn’t sit still.. i feel i have to strive harder.. do better.. and always, i feel nothing i do is good enough. i have this idea that some blessings are impossible to attain. too far off. out of reach.

sure, i pray to God. but there are moments when i doubt He would actually pay attention to me.. let alone help me. a lot of times, i lack faith.

so that day, the Lord gave me almost the same advice i gave to my student: “have a little more faith.. if not in yourself, then in Me.. because no goal is impossible to reach if I am with you.” and He’s right! i may not have much confidence in myself - but i ought to have the utmost faith trust in Him who is able to feed tens of thousands from five loaves and two fish :-) i may not have much to offer.. but in His hands, the little i could give will be more than enough :-)

“do your best and God will do the rest” i guess nothing is ever really out of reach :-)

No comments: