Wednesday, August 16, 2006

forget me not

"every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end"

- semisonic

it happened exactly one year ago. august 16, 2005. it was the day i officially became "single" again after four years into a relationship. it was the end of one phase of my life.. and the start of another.

i started writing articles for the newsletter a few weeks after the breakup. at first, i wrote because it was a form of "therapy" for me - a way to organize my thoughts and feelings. for quite a while, all i could write about was my heartbreak and my loss. it was difficult to see the blessings.. and it was always a struggle to find something to be grateful for.

but by the Lord’s grace, bit by bit, i felt my heart healing. soon, i found myself able to smile.. to laugh.. to hope.. and to love myself again.

it's been an eventful year. sure, there were painful moments. but there were abundant blessings as well: the love of family.. the comfort of friends.. the joy of worship and service.. the privilege of sharing God's Word with others.. the renewed friendship with my ex (yup.. we're good friends now, hehe).. the rush of new adventures, new experiences and new friends.. and so much more.

new beginnings. most of the time, when we go through bad times, we only look at what we've lost. but the saying is true.. "when god closes a door, he opens a window." we never really run out of opportunities to change.. to grow.. to improve. it certainly may not seem to be the case while we're going through the heartache.. but after a while, we realize that we have to say goodbye to the old before we can say hello to the new.

so today i celebrate my first "anniversary" ü let me share with you a verse that really gave me comfort during my darkest moments:

"can a woman forget her nursing child, and have no compassion on the son of her womb? even these may forget, but i will not forget you. behold, i have inscribed you on the palms of my hands.."

(is 49:15-16)

yes, i am single.. but i am not "loveless." i love and am loved in return. i am remembered.. never to be forgotten.

ahhhh.. it's been a wonderful year. i'm looking forward to the next 365 days.. ü

No comments: