Wednesday, May 9, 2007

the child within

“ma’am open notes na lang itong test.. pleeease?!?”

“ma’am ang hirap naman ng exam..”

“ma’am taasan niyo ang partial points ha?”

“ma’am extend natin deadline ng problem set..”

hmm. 8.30am and *this* is the “good morning” greeting i get from my class. hahaha. you’re probably imagining a classroom full of whiny, bratty teeners who were not able to study well for their test. would you believe me if i told you that this morning’s exam takers were my graduate students - most of whom are 35+ years old?! hahaha. they’re not whiny nor bratty. my students were not childish. just child-like, i guess ü

after this morning’s incident, i realized that we all have moments when we do not act our age. no matter how “mature” or “dignified” we would like to think we are, there are always those times when we’re caught off-guard. when we have to admit to ourselves that we’re not as strong nor as independent as we’d like to be. we realize we need a listening ear.. a hand to hold.. a shoulder to cry on. and it’s during those moments when, aside from the Lord, we find solace and comfort in that special someone in our lives - our mothers ü

three decades of living on this planet has allowed me to accomplish some things. like earning academic degrees, landing a good job, learning how to drive, make friends and serve the community. i’ve also learned quite a few valuable lessons along the way. lessons on love and hurt.. and a lot of things in between. i’ve had people look down on me.. while others looked up to me for help and guidance. i’ve gone through lots of trials.. but i’ve also experienced triumphs and victories along the way. in short, like a lot of you, i’ve lived an adult life for quite a number of years already.

yet now as i type this piece, i hear my mom’s voice from downstairs, reminding me, “anak, baba ka na dito. kumain ka muna bago ka pumunta sa klase mo..” hmm. and then later, i’m sure she’ll tell me again (as she *always* does, before i go), “o, mukhang mainit.. may dala ka bang payong?” and then of course, just as i’m about to leave, “mag-iingat ka ha.. God bless (puts the sign of the cross on my forehead). text mo ‘ko kapag nandun ka na sa school..” it’s a daily summer ritual that mom and i have. it makes me feel like a kid. it makes me feel a tad bit embarrassed. but it makes me feel loved. and special ü

saying that my mom has stood by me through thick and thin is an understatement. she’s seen me through so many confusing moments (definitely too many to mention), listened to countless rants & raves and taken my side everytime someone hurts me. all these years, mom has always been there - wiping away tears, sharing secrets, offering advice, providing my needs.. and sometimes even announcing to the entire world how proud she is of my accomplishments ü

my mom isn’t great. she’s phenomenal ü and among all the blessings the Lord has bestowed upon me, she is most definitely one of the best ü happy mother’s day, mom. i love you ü

No comments: